Thursday, 13 July 2017

We Are Okay by Nina LaCour

We Are Okay
by Nina LaCour

Summary: You go through life thinking there’s so much you need…

Until you leave with only your phone, your wallet, and a picture of your mother.

Until you leave with only your phone, your wallet, and a picture of your mother.

Marin hasn’t spoken to anyone from her old life since the day she left everything behind. No one knows the truth about those final weeks. Not even her best friend, Mabel. But even thousands of miles away from the California coast, at college in New York, Marin still feels the pull of the life and tragedy she’s tried to outrun. Now, months later, alone in an emptied dorm for winter break, Marin waits. Mabel is coming to visit, and Marin will be forced to face everything that’s been left unsaid and finally confront the loneliness that has made a home in her heart.
Okay, I'm not going to lie: I completely judged a book by its cover. I literally went into this book not knowing what it was going to be about...a few Goodreads friends had rated it highly, but I got it purely for the cover. And I am so glad I did, because I loved it.

It wasn't at all what I expected it to be but every way it surprised me was a good way.

I didn't expect the lesbian/bi/pan representation, but I was so happy it was there and that it was executed so well. It wasn't made into a huge deal, it wasn't a story revolving entirely around their sexuality, it was just this truth about these characters that wasn't prioritized any more or less than their other truths and I loved that.

I loved that while romance was present, the book wasn't entirely about that. And I loved that it showed the complexities of going from friends to something more then trying to get back to friendship again.

I loved that the way the book wrote about grief, and love, and family and friendship and the complexities and variations of those things. I just - I loved all of it. And it was written so beautifully.

I don't really have much else to say about it really. I wasn't expecting such a little book to get under my skin in such a big way, but it did and I adored it. I'd rate it 5 stars out of 5.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.